Search This Blog

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Plex Media Server

Over Thanksgiving, my brother-in-law introduced me to Plex Media Server.
It's like  your own personal Netflix using MP4 ripped from your collection.

Plex Media Server is a media distribution system that can use a variety of formats (I'm using MP4/m4v) and distribute the media to different devices at once.
In my household, I am streaming to 3 xboxes, 6 computers, and 4 android tablets.

There other nice aspect of Plex Media server, it is going to allow me to purchase movies and TV shows now in MP4 format then deploy them

Plex is just the server so you will need additional software to convert DVD to MP4s. http://www.plexapp.com/

I am using AnyDVD HD from SlySoft. http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html

And I am using Handbrake for Windows. http://handbrake.fr/downloads.php

HandBrake can seems a bit complex but reading through the explanaion of the parameters and the help got me started.  I would recommend that you do a couple sample conversions and testing the resulting MP4.

The nice thing is in handbrake you can save your settings as presets.

I created a preset for action movies and went with very conservative parameters to capture motive and I tested the with Wide screen edition of Empire Strikes Back which I then viewed in a 60in TV via XBOX 360.  Handbrake ripped the movie in 2 hrs on 4 3.0 GHz Quad core XEON Dell Precison 490 with 4 GB RAM running 32 bit Windows 7.  The video came out fantastic.



Of course with any software solution, better hardware results in better performance.

Compare:  Ripping a Red Dwarf Episode using good quality video settings (identical on both).

Intel 2-CPU 2-Core Xeon 3.0 Ghz, 4GB RAM , 32bit Windows 7:  ~28 min
Intel i7-2600 CPU 3.40 Ghz, 8 GB RAM, 64bit Windows 7: ~8:30 min !!







No comments: