Search This Blog

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Setting up Plex

Last December, I setup on Plex media server to create a NextFlix like interface for my mine DVD collection.

Plex lets your stream MP4s to multiple clients at once. In my household, typically there are 2-3 plex clients running at once.  Best part is Plex Media Server is free.

First things is to download Plex Media Center. http://www.plexapp.com/getplex/.

Its available for Windows, OS X, Linux, and some NAS applianaces.

Plex clients are available for computer and mobile devices.  The mobile device clients are not free neither is the Windows 8 client. http://www.plexapp.com/.

Here is my Plex Media server configuration

  • Hosted Plex Media server on a Windows 8 machine Intel 2-CPU single core Xeon 2.5 Ghz, 4GB RAM , 32bit.
  • Using ZyXel NAS325 ARM processor with 4 TB of disk space to host my media files.
  • Mapped shared folder on NAS325 to a drive letter on the Windows 8 machine.
  • Windows 8 machine is connected to my 60in flat screen TV.
  • Also use Plex Media Center as the client on the Windows 8 machine. http://www.plexapp.com/download/plex-media-center.php.
Note: I purchased the Plex client from the Windows 8 store.  It was ~$3.00.  The playback was too slow and choppy.  I downloaded Plex media center and its performance was very nice.

Another cool feature is with a little port forwarding, you can allow access to the personal Plex server over the internet.  I have the paid version of  Plex client for Android $4.99 on my Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire tablets.

Now to complete my TV watching experience on flat screen TV, I installed http://www.unifiedremote.com/ which comprises of a service that is installed on a Windows machine and then a client that is installed on my Nexus 7 tablet.  Now, I have a free convenient mouse /keyboard remote control for Windows!

I also installed Plex Remote which is by far the easiest Plex remote to use.  Allows me to control the Plex media center installed on any of my Windows machines.


I converted my DVDs with

Note: I rip my DVDs on Intel i7 8 core processor 3 GHZ with 8 RAM.  


Total cost for this project is~$400.00.

  • $40.00 for Windows 8 license for old converted PC.
  • $150.00 for Zyxel NAS unit without drives
  • ~$130.00 for 2 - 2TB SATA hard drives - special deal on newegg.
  • $13.00 on Plex clients for Windows 8 and 2 android tablets.
  • ~$40.00 for AnyDVD license.
Great way to recycle an old PC with a decent video card.


No comments: